The Sun Also Rises – A Message From Chief Market Strategist Art Hogan
The Sun Also Rises
March 17, 2020
There are plenty of scary news stories out in the news right now, as the Covid-19 epidemic spreads globally. It is human nature to be concerned and we can easily find ourselves just focusing on the negatives.
I wanted to share some positive updates that have also been released but can get lost in the shuffle. These are all tidbits that came from a friend of a friend that is on the WHO board, and as such they should be treated as secondhand.
-China has closed down its last coronavirus hospital. Not enough new cases to support them.
– Doctors in India have been successful in treating Coronavirus. Combination of drugs used: Lopinavir, Ritonavir, Oseltamivir along with Chlorphenamine. They are going to suggest the same medicine, globally.
– Researchers of the Erasmus Medical Center claim to have found an antibody against coronavirus.
– A 103-year-old Chinese grandmother has made a full recovery from COVID-19 after being treated for 6 days in Wuhan, China.
– Apple reopens all 42 China stores,
– Cleveland Clinic developed a COVID-19 test that gives results in hours, not days.
– Good news from South Korea, where the number of new cases is declining.
– Italy is hit hard, experts say, only because they have the oldest population in Europe.
– Scientists in Israel likely to announce the development of a coronavirus vaccine.
– 3 Maryland coronavirus patients fully recovered; able to return to everyday life.
– A network of Canadian scientists are making excellent progress in COVID-19 research.
– A San Diego biotech company is developing a COVID-19 vaccine in collaboration with Duke University and National University of Singapore.
– Tulsa County’s first positive COVID-19 case has recovered. This individual has had two negative tests, which is the indicator of recovery.
– All 7 patients who were getting treated for at Safdarjung hospital in New Delhi have recovered.
– Plasma from newly recovered patients from COVID-19 can treat others infected by COVID-19.
We know that the new Covid-19 cases are about to explode in the US as we are just starting to test people here in real numbers. That’s why we are taking all the precautions as a country to limit the spread of the virus. We will get through this and come out stronger on the other side.
Let’s care for each other and stay laser focused on the safety of those most vulnerable. Stay safe and follow CDC Guidelines for preventing Covid-19 spread CDC Guidlines Don’t panic, Rebalance; Talk to your financial advisor; Stick to your strategy; and if this type of market volatility has you up at night, recalibrate your equity exposure to match your risk tolerance.
Stay informed – several helpful sites:
Sites Tracking the Virus’ Progression
· Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Dashboard: Overview of reported cases by regions/localities
· Nextrain Coronavirus Epidemiology: Detailed breakdown of virus transmission
· Healthmap Animated Map: Simplified timeline of global progression
· WHO: Frequently updated guidance on progression
· European CDC: Background, infographics, and Q&A pertaining to EU
· U.S. CDC: Information related to the spread of the virus in the U.S.
Dedicated Coronavirus News Sites
· BBC: Overview of virus transmission with active updates
· NY Times: Primer on Coronavirus progression